Hello readers, we’re back again with another season of #STYLECHATTER and this time we are bringing you the lady behind those creative and cool videos from Lokalab (Psst.. check out our #StyleTricks videos by them!) and also the founder of islamic lifestyle channel, DOPStv; Ili Zuhair Amdan to share what it’s like to get paid doing something you are passionate about, how she started it and what has inspired her!
1. Can you tell us about yourself and your two “babies” (Lokalab & DOPStv)? I started working as an auditor as soon as I graduated in 2005. After 6 years in the corporate world, I took a leap of faith and left my 9-5 job to pursue a career in the creative industry. That’s when I met my husband and together we decided to start our own production company, Lokalab. Basically it’s a boutique production company that offers end-to-end services be it video commercials, TV programs, films, music videos etc.
Having a sense of purpose and meaning to what I do is very important to me. That’s why I started DOPStv with my husband, Syahir and Mizz Nina. Our objective is to build a platform to share the beauty of Islam in a fresh and unique way. We aim to become something like the netflix of Islamic lifestyle content inshaAllah.
- 2. How would you describe life in day as Ili Zuhair? The first thing that I try to do everyday is to write down a list of things that needs to be done in my notebook. There’s just something about writing it down that calms me eventhough there’s 1001 things to accomplish. It helps me to prioritze my tasks and delegate accordingly.
- If I don’t have a shoot scheduled, a lot of my time goes into reviewing, developing and enhancing ideas. I’d say this is the challenging part of my job as it requires you to be inspired (on a daily basis) and at the same time motivate others to execute the project.
- 3. What is the best part of your job? The best part about my job is simply the fact that I get paid doing something that I love and have passion for. It is really a blessing and I’m grateful to God everyday because not everyone gets to do what they love for a living.
- 4. Who or what is your ultimate go-to for inspiration? This may sound creepy, but I do a lot of stalking online for inspiration haha! but in all seriousness, a lot of my work is based on my observation of people’s stories and life journeys. I’m inspired when I read about real people going through real issues in life and for that, I thank Instagram and Youtube!
- Another thing that I do to keep myself inspired is by browsing around homeware store. I love homeware! It’s a place where I can clear my head whilst being surrounded with pretty things
- 5. Share with us your ideal work space? My ideal work space is a clutter-free desk with scented candles, a small plant and a very comfortable chair. I take decorating and designing spaces seriously. I believe being creative is not just important in your work life but also your life in general. Every small decision in your life is an opportunity to be visually creative, what you wear, how you do your make up, how you organise your desk etc. So having a nicely decorated workplace is very important to reflect our appreciation for good design that I believe will benefit us in our work life as well.
- 6. What’s your life motto? “Being rich does not mean having a great amount of wealth. Being rich is having self-contentment.” Prophet Muhammad (PBUH)
Photography by: Syazwan Asyraf @syzwnasyrf